Aurélie Dupont resigns from her position as director of dance at the Paris Opera

Director of dance at the Paris Opera, Aurélie Dupont, will leave her post on July 31 to “Devote to personal projects”announced Thursday, June 16 the institution.

The ex-star dancer, who had been challenged internally by dancers at the start of her mandate, will turn to other horizons. She has the project “of a book, a documentary film and a musical, and [souhaite consacrer du temps] his family “says a press release.

His surprise resignation was accepted by Alexander Neef, general manager of the Paris Opera.

Read also: Article reserved for our subscribers Star dancer Stéphane Bullion leaves the Paris Opera ballet

Aurélie Dupont, 49, was appointed director of the Paris Opera Ballet in 2016, succeeding Benjamin Millepied, who also resigned. During his tenure, “She has benefited from freedom of action allowing her to deploy her programming talents, which have attracted large audiences, with the fill rate of ballet performances reaching 98% for the 2021-2022 season”specifies the press release from the Opera. “Aurélie Dupont proposed eighteen creations for the company, twenty-three entries in the repertoire, the nomination of seven dancers and star dancers”adds the text.

Two years after his appointment, a confidential report on the management, including internal testimonies, was revealed in the press. On condition of anonymity, 89.8% of artists felt that they [faisaient] not subject to good quality management” and 25.9% even claimed to have been the object of sexual harassment or to have witnessed it.

A difficult year at the Paris Opera

Hard hit by the closures and health constraints linked to Covid-19, the Paris Opera was only able to organize 224 performances this year, compared to 380 in normal times. Result: its ticketing revenue should be less than 30 million euros in 2021, far from the annual 70 million before the crisis. “We have had a difficult year of constantly postponing the reopening, while rescheduling and broadcasting recordings”observes Martin Ajdari, Deputy Director General of the Opera, for whom “the current situation remains elusive”. The State has planned to release 106 million euros over the period 2020-2022 so that the establishment keeps its head above water. “But we have also achieved 60 million euros in savings over two years, by renegotiating the fees of guest artists and reducing the cost of certain productions”says Mr. Ajdari.

The World with AFP

Leave a Comment